Why do teachers teach?

Jade Purdy, Photojournalist and Web Master

There are so many different reasons on why a teacher became what they are, some teachers already know what they are going to be since day one and then others started to teach after finding someone they looked up to.

Coach and Human Growth teacher Mark Meier was one of the teachers who learned to love school and the best way to do it was to teach.

“Growing up I strongly disliked school, My coach was very inspiring, he was top knotch,” Meier said.  “One day I decided I wanted to be a teacher when I realized I wanted to be like him and make a difference in kids lives.”

Meier’s first experience started as a student teacher at Bryan until he became a teacher at Benson High. He has been teaching for 25 years now and says he will continue teaching for a long time.

From the other side of the spectrum is journalism teacher Justine Garman where she grew up knowing she wanted to teach.

“I knew I wanted to be a teacher ever since I was in kindergarten. I learned about yearbook in high school where my high school teacher took me to nationals and my team won,” Garman said.

Garman first started has a Benson bunny and she loved it so much she never wanted to leave.

“I first was a student teacher here at Benson High and eventually became a journalism teacher. I have been working here for 15 years and I plan on being here for another 15 years,” Garman said. “Now I get to do what I love everyday.”