Overcoming the Summer Epidemic

Samantha Sperry, Editor-in-Chief

Once students enter high school, we get into the thought process of only having a short amount of time left.
That thought process usually takes students in one of two ways. The first is wondering what the point of trying is anymore, and the second is trying to get the absolute most from everything before it is too late.
There are a few things that I have done so far to help keep me on track this year.
Prepare your backpack the night before. It saves a lot of time in the morning and prevents you from leaving you’re A day materials in your bag for a B day.
Get up at a time that works for you. As someone who stays up into the early hours of the morning, I sleep in as much as possible.
Start the day off with a healthy breakfast. If you are someone who, like me, doesn’t have time to make breakfast in the morning, grab something fast and easy like fruit snacks, toast, or baby food pouches.
Baby food sounds like an odd choice, but they are vitamin packed, can be eaten quickly when running late for school, and not all of them are disgusting. To be on the safe side, I always go for fruit flavors like strawberry banana, which is basically just a smoothie.
On the way to school, listen to music that wakes you up and puts you in a good mood. It can be difficult to stay awake during the first couple of classes, but music works wonders.
Pay attention in class and keep track of your assignments. Find a way to make sure that assignments and materials are organized and easy to access.
If agendas do not work well for you, try writing notes to yourself in your phone or setting nightly reminders.
Study for tests in a way that works for you. If you are someone with very little free time, take five or ten minutes before going to sleep to look over notes and review packets every night for a couple of days before the test.
Get involved with school activities! It is the last year that you can be on a high school sports team or a high school club!
If you are someone who balances academics with sports, clubs or work, make sure that you are giving yourself plenty of time to relax and take care of your mental and physical health.
One last piece of advice, enjoy the activities and opportunities we are given now before it is too late.