JROTC Bellevue Veterans Day Parade

Benson JROTC LET students are lined up ready for the parade.

Michael White, Reporter

After taking a year hiatus, JROTC once again participated in Bellevue’s Veteran Day Parade in Olde Town. Schools from across the city including, Bellevue East, Bellevue West, Papillion La-Vista South and Benson attended the parade.  

“The parade was a really special event to the JROTC program, and we are happy that we are able to be given this opportunity,” JROTC Colonel Dwight Lydic said. “Most of our students show up and we march for about a mile, and it lasted about an hour and a half from start to finish.”  

Lydic, the current head of the JROTC department, has been doing this for many years and it has been an annual event for a while.  Benson JROTC has been attending the parade for 25 years, going on 26.  

“We have a lot of fun doing the parade,” junior Eliza Crotty said. “It is kind of cold, but other than that the parade seems like it lasts not for very long and it is cool talking to all your friends.” 

Crotty said that she has been doing the parade since her freshman year. During her sophomore year, Crotty didn’t have a chance to participate in it because COVID-19 hit and was cancelled the parade because of it.  

“It was kind of upsetting that we couldn’t do it last year, but it was for the best,” Crotty said. “At least we got to do it this year and appreciate it more.”  

The next time that Benson JRTOC will compete will be Jan. 11 at Abraham Lincoln High School in Council Bluffs.