Girls Wrestling Still Fighting for Recognition

Gizela Kwihangana, Reporter

The fight to make girls wrestling a sanctioned sport is not being postponed this year.
In January, the Nebraska School Activities Association (NSAA) districts came together and had meeting regarding whether if they should make girls wrestling a sanctioned winter sport.
The vote on girls wrestling has passed in at least three districts, the NSAA Board of Directors will meet again in April to make a final decision.
District II, the Omaha area, already passed the bill, as did Districts IV and VI.
Many of the districts are hopeful and their determination is only putting a lot of pressure on the NSAA to make girls wrestling an official sanctioned sport.
If the proposal passes in April, it’ll mean that girls wrestling is to be instituted for the 2019-20 school year.
If the proposal does not pass, girls wrestling will continue to be the conversations of future female wrestlers and no doubt become the talk within the NSAA directors in future years.
Despite the sport still struggling to be recognized by many states, certain schools are taking matters into their own hands.
In Kansas, there are over 200 more girls competing in high school wrestling this year than in 2017.
As of right now, if the proposal passes, girls will have separate brackets at wrestling meets from the boys.
The NSAA is calling co-ed with other schools something that has the potential to further the recognition of girls participation in wrestling.
Girls wrestling meets Title IX and gives girls their own sport, and it would make it that their own State Tournament sanctioned.
Cedar Bluffs, Nebraska hosted their first all girls wrestling tournament this year.
The tournament was hosted on February 2, featuring 40 female wrestlers from eight different schools.
Female wrestlers will continue to fight for recognition until girls wrestling officially becomes a sanctioned sport.